Monday, January 30, 2012

Obsession

Steven and I have an obsession. It could be considered a problem... Or a blessing...(most likely a problem)... The aroma is entrancing but the after affects could be lethal. Our obsession is garlic, garlic, garlic! After doing some research I found some interesting facts. Did you know that ancient Egyptians considered garlic sacred and used it in oath-taking and as part of burial rituals. Garlic bulbs were found in Tutankhamen’s tomb, and the Egyptian Book of the Dead includes twenty-two remedies involving garlic! The Bible even mentions this wonderful herb; Numbers 11:5: “We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick.” In Sanskrit, garlic means "slayer of monsters." Garlic’s most famous protective use is as a vampire repellent, but it has also been used to ward off scorpions and snakes and has been said to repel evil and invite luck and prosperity if hung over a door. I am super afraid of vampires, so maybe subconsciously that's why I eat it. Or maybe it's just because it's REALLY GOOD! I blame this obsession on my mom. I grew up in a home where balsamic vinegar salad was the families favorite meal. It was not unusual to see someone sipping vinegar doused in pepper and garlic salt. Well, these eating habits have followed me into my marriage. Steven hardly ate salad before we got married but now, he eats it probably every other day. The reason I've been thinking about this is because I realized that we use garlic in EVERYTHING! I mean EVERYTHING! Balsamic Vinegar salad, garlic chicken, mashed potatoes, on top of pizza and spaghetti, deer meat tenderizer, Sunday pot roast, pickles, salsa, fajitas... I feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump. haha. But I'm dead serious!!!
Don't believe me? The second people smell your sauteing garlic people will think you're cooking a master piece. Still don't believe me? Try Stevens yummy yummy garlic chicken. 2 teaspoons crushed garlic 1/4 cup olive oil 1/4 cup breadcrumbs 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves Directions: 1)Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 2)Warm garlic and olive oil to blend the flavors. 3)In a separate dish, combine the bread crumbs and cheese. 4)Sprinkle salt and pepper lightly onto chicken breasts. 5)Dip chicken in olive oil/garlic mixture, then into bread crumb mix. 6)Place chicken in a greased baking dish. 7)Bake for 30 minutes or until done. Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/garlic-chicken-breasts-56453#ixzz1l0ZIfTGd

No comments: