Monday, May 10, 2010

Marhaba!!!


Marhaba means Hello in Arabic. To say hello back you say 'Marhabteen.' On Friday we got to go see the start of the Sabbath for the Jewish religion. This place is one of the holiest places for the Jews. I was amazed at the emotion and dedication these people put into their worship. They worship with "all of their heart, might, mind and strength." Literally... The worshipers will pray in front of the wall swaying back and forth, sometimes crying and place notes in cracks. They will never turn their back to the wall so they will walk backwards away from it. I got to see all of this first hand because the group of girls I was with were determined to get as close to the wall as possible. I couldn't understand the words that they were saying while they were praying but the emotion that some of the people were expressing didn't need words. It got me thinking about my Sabbath worship and how lightly I go about the day.
Sabbath the next day was AWESOME! I looked at my Sabbath day 100% different. We had the great opportunity to go see the garden tomb and Calvary. I could feel the spirit so strong here. As I was looking out over Calvary and trying to imagine what Jesus saw I remembered this quote by Elder John H. Groberg: "I love the Savior. I feel that as he hung upon the cross and looked out over the dark scene, he saw more than mocking soldiers and cruel taunters. He saw more than crying women and fearful friends. He remembered and saw even more than women at wells or crowds on hills or throngs by seashores. He saw more, much more. He, who knows all and has all power, saw through the stream of time. His huge, magnanimous, loving soul encompassed all eternity and took in all people and all times and all sins and all forgiveness and all everything. Yes, he saw down to you and to me and provided us an all-encompassing opportunity to escape the terrible consequences of death and sin. And even as he suffered for all of us, he voiced that most beautiful of all requests, “Father, forgive them.” (Luke 23:34.) My eyes immediately filled with tears as I stood out looking out at the same place He looked. My view was of a local bus stop but what a great spirit came over me. I know that my Redeemer lives and that He loves me too. I stand in awe of the love Jesus offers me.
This is Calvary


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Katie! We love to see your pictures and especially your smiling face. We appreciate your thoughts as well. Keep them coming! We miss you! Mom and Dad